The Best Cruelty-Free & Vegan Deodorant: Our Top 3 Picks
Deprecated: wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /home/customer/www/ardentvegan.com/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5323
Whether or not you are a vegan, you may still have good reasons to want to use vegan deodorant and other skin care products. For instance, these products are much better for anyone who has sensitive skin and finds that traditional deodorants cause irritation in the form of itching and rashes.
If you have these issues, keep reading to learn more about the benefits of vegan deodorant. And, we even review out top 3 picks for the best vegan deodorant on the market.
The Problem with Traditional Deodorants & Antiperspirants
Before you can learn about vegan deodorant, it is a good idea to learn a bit about how traditional deodorants work. First of all, deodorants and antiperspirants are not the same thing. Deodorants do not stop sweat from happening. They just inhibit and cover odors. Antiperspirants keep you from sweating. Some deodorants are just that—deodorants. Others are deodorant antiperspirants that perform both functions.
Perspiration is actually odorless, believe it or not. It is the bacteria that grows in dark, moist areas such as the armpits that causes body odor. Once you begin to sweat, the bacteria begin to grow, and then comes the odor.
Now, the biggest problem with antiperspirants, and why many people choose only to use deodorant, is that they contain alcohol and anti-microbial agents. They also often contain aluminum, which can lead to a number of health issues. While these help to keep the bacteria at bay, they are also not overly healthy to be using all the time.
Vegan Antiperspirants & Deodorants are Different
When you come right down to it, organic or vegan deodorants and traditional deodorants work pretty much the same way, so why would you choose to wear one that is loaded with chemicals? The best organic deodorants don’t contain a lot of harmful ingredients like aluminum and alcohol, and there are no artificial scents. Basically, they are likely to irritate your skin, especially if you have sensitive skin. Actual antiperspirants can clog your pores, and lead to a lot of irritation, whereas organic products will not clog the pores.
So, how do vegan deodorants work? They use a number of all-natural ingredients that can fight naturally odor. These ingredients also have anti-microbial properties. This means that there is less chance of bacteria growing, which will also prevent odor. Common organic deodorant ingredients include potassium alum, aloe vera, and peppermint.
Benefits of Using Vegan Deodorants
There are all kinds of good reasons for you to switch from your current deodorant product to one that is vegan and made with natural ingredients. For starters, there are no harsh chemicals that aren’t good for you. You get a product that is made from ingredients such as tea tree oil, neem extract, etc.
Other benefits include -
- Neutralize Sweat - The ingredients used in these products work to neutralize sweat, which helps to keep you smelling fresh and clean. When sweat is neutralized, it helps to keep odors at bay, and the ingredients used in these products naturally help to do this.
- No Clogged Pores - Clogging the pores in your sweat ducts is just going to lead to irritation. Using a vegan deodorant will ensure that this doesn’t happen and you will be able to naturally release toxins from your body.
- Skin Whitening - The ingredients in natural deodorants will help to whiten the skin and exfoliate the dead skin cells. These skin cells are what make the underarm area look dark, and when they are exfoliated, the skin looks cleaner, brighter, and healthier.
- Heal Skin - Many of the ingredients, such as neem extract, will smooth the skin and heal dry/damaged skin, as well as prevent bacteria and skin infections. Your skin will feel soft and smooth, and be free of irritation that you might experience with chemical formulations.
- No Staining - Unlike traditional deodorants, most natural deodorants won’t leave white or yellow stains on your clothing. This is because there is no aluminum, the ingredient that causes staining. If you do experience staining, in most cases it is easy to wash out with your regular laundry detergent.
- Safe to Use - Even if you are pregnant or nursing, vegan deodorants are safe to use. Of course, you should make sure that you speak with your doctor about anything you are using to make sure that it is safe for you.
- Reduced Risk of Cancer - Some studies show that aluminum can lead to the development of breast cancer. This is not a worry when you are using natural products that do not contain aluminum, which some studies also show can also lead to the early onset of Alzheimer’s disease.
How to Choose a Vegan Deodorant
Just as not all traditional deodorants work for you, not all organic deodorants may work for you either. You need to read the labels on the various products to make sure that you are getting something with ingredients that are organically produced and all natural. For a product to be certified as organic, at least 95% of the ingredients must be organically produced.
If you have any allergies, you also need to look for products that don’t contain any ingredients that may trigger an allergic reaction. If you do try a product and you experience a negative reaction, stop using the product and see your physician to find out if the problem is indeed an allergy to one or more of the ingredients.
Look for products that include ingredients that work for your skin type. You will find products for sensitive, dry, oily, and normal skin, as well as products that work for all types of skin. Make sure that it is also certified to be vegan, meaning that it is not only free of any animal products or by-products, but also that it is not tested on animals.
Some vegan deodorants contain baking soda, but this ingredient does not contain any aluminum. If you are still concerned about having baking soda in the product, make sure that you look for a natural deodorant that does not have this ingredient listed. There are many available, and we are going to talk about one later in this article.
Our Top 3 Picks
When you go on a search for vegan deodorants, you might find yourself overwhelmed with the number of products available. Each one claims to be completely vegan (not all show any certifications at all). They can have different ingredients, be for different skin types, etc. So, with this in mind, we have come up with a list of our three favorite vegan deodorants that we think you will really like.
North Coast Organics All Natural Deodorant: Death by Lavender
Click the above image to purchase item from Amazon.com
North Coast Organics All Natural Deodorant: Death by Lavender is completely natural, and free of aluminum. This deodorant, as well as all deodorants from North Coast Organics, is made from ingredients that are not only natural, they are edible (we haven’t tried eating it though). They are USDA certified organic, as well as certified vegan.
This deodorant is dairy free, gluten free, soy free, BPA free, paraben free, sulfate free, and cruelty free. You can be certain that you are using a product that is not only good for you, but also good for the environment. All North Coast Organics products are manufactured in Fort Wayne, Indiana, in small batches with the utmost of care.
It's pretty easy to see why it's a top pick for the best natural deodorant currently available.
How it Works
A lot of traditional deodorants use chemicals for application. This is not necessary for this all-natural deodorant. The natural heat of your body will help this deodorant to go on nice and smooth. Yes, it has a different feel from the deodorant you are currently using, but it is a good kind of different. This deodorant should be stored in a cool, dry place. In the hotter summer months, it may be necessary to keep it in the refrigerator. To use, apply to underarms that are clean and dry.
Now we get to talk about the benefits of using this deodorant, of which there are many. For starters, as we already mentioned, all of the ingredients are natural and totally edible. There are no harsh chemicals that can irritate your skin, and this deodorant is truly a vegan product.
Other benefits include -
All of the essential oils used in this product are guaranteed to be therapeutic grade. The scents are all-natural, and come from the highest quality essential oils to help keep you smelling great all day long, even if you are working out.
North Coast Organics is a Certified B-Corporation. This means that it is required to meet very rigorous third-party standards when it comes to social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency. Basically, what you see is what you get, which is a good thing when it comes to healthy, organic products.
Because this deodorant relies on body heat for smooth application, it has a much lighter feel than other vegan deodorants. Make sure that it is kept cool. If you have an open sore or broken skin, do not use this product until the area is healed.
- Made with Care - This product is made in small batches, and each batch is tested to ensure that you are getting a quality product. All North Coast Organics products are made in the United States, and can be shipped directly to your door.
- All Natural - When they say all natural, they really mean all natural. Even the packaging is made from natural materials. The container is reusable and made from recyclable materials. The labels are printed on 100% tree free/100% fair trade certified paper with vegan ink.
- Natural Ingredients - You can actually pronounce the ingredients in this deodorant. Ingredients are coconut oil, carnauba wax, corn starch, baking soda (aluminum-free), and a blend of lavendula angustifolia, citrus limon, Rosmarinus officinalis, and cupressus sempervirens essential oils.
- Staining - There are a few isolated reviews that claim this product leaves a yellow stain on clothing after use. Some say it is permanent, while others say it washed out easily. If you do notice staining, cleaning it may depend on how hard your water is, and the type of detergent you use.
Bali Secrets Natural Deodorant
Click the above image to purchase item from Amazon.com
Bali Secrets Natural Deodorant is both organic and vegan, and not only does it not contain aluminum, it also contains no baking soda, which is commonly found in other natural deodorants. This is a truly vegan product, and it is also gluten free. All of the ingredients used to make this deodorant are rated safe by EGW.org, and they are all of the highest quality.
This deodorant contains no parabens, and it is made with a formula that contains natural seaweed extract with mineral salt, and pure essential oils. It has a fresh, floral scent that is neither too light nor too heavy. This makes it one of the best natural deodorant options for men, but it's great for women too. You can be sure that you are going to smell fresh and clean all day long, even if you are working out in the gym.
How it Works
One of the things we love about this product is how long it lasts. A single bottle can last one person up to three months. This is longer than most traditional deodorants that are made with a lot of harsh chemicals that aren’t good for you. You can be sure to smell great without any heavy perfumes that just mask odors rather than prevent them from happening in the first place.
To use, shake well, and apply lightly to your underarms. A little bit of this stuff goes a long way, so be careful not to use too much. Do not apply this, or any other product to broken skin to avoid further irritation. If there is irritation that does not go away, consult your physician for treatment.
This deodorant is made in Bali, where the people are known to use herbal remedies and be at one with nature. So, you know that this is a product that is going to be of the highest quality, and made with only the best essential oils extracted from a variety of plants.
Benefits include -
Only Natural Ingredients
There are only a few ingredients in this deodorant, and they are completely natural. These ingredients are seaweed extract, distilled water, natural mineral salt, aloe vera gel, alcohol, coconut oil, and rose, lavender, galangal, mint, and magnolia essential oils.
No Harsh Chemicals
Unlike most traditional deodorants, this product does not contain any aluminum chlorohydrate, aluminum zirconium, baking soda, parabens, or phthalates. It is not tested on animals, and does not contain any animal products or by-products.
Natural Mineral Salt
The natural mineral salt used in this product comes naturally from a stone, and has been used for medicinal purposes for centuries. It is found in Ayurveda, traditional Chinese medicine, and a number of other holistic treatments. It works with the seaweed extract to keep you smelling fresh and clean.
- Money Back Guarantee - If you are not completely happy with this product, you may return it with no questions asked and receive your money back. You can try this deodorant for 30 days to see if you like it.
- Clean Earthly Scent - This product has a clean, earthy scent that can be worn by both men and women. It is neither too weak nor too overpowering, making it great for anyone who has a problem with scent allergies. There is also an unscented version available.
- Scent - Some users report that they do not like the scent. Some said it did not help to mask natural body odor, and instead the two odors mixed for a very unpleasant odor.
Schmidt's Natural Deodorant: Rose + Vanilla Jar
Click the above image to purchase item from Amazon.com
Rose + Vanilla Deodorant is hoping to “change the way you think about deodorant.” Unlike many others, this is a natural deodorant that works. That alone makes it one of the best choices. But, there's more.
It feels great going on, and is made with your health in mind. Its scent is almost delicious, and it tends to last longer than the scents in other vegan deodorants. The formula has won awards for its ability to naturally neutralize odor and wetness.
This is another product that is made in the USA, in Portland, Oregon. It is certified to be vegan and cruelty free, and it is also gluten free. This product is made with no aluminum, and it is free of parabens, phthalates, and propylene glycol. It is easily absorbed by the body, and doesn’t leave a greasy or sticky film behind.
How it Works
This deodorant is made with an award-winning formula that works to neutralize odor and wetness naturally. It is easily absorbed by the body, and doesn’t leave behind a greasy or sticky feeling on your skin. Applying this product is easy. Simply use the plastic spatula that is supplied to dip a small amount of product out of the jar. Spread it onto the underarm area with your fingers. Make sure to warm the product up in your fingers before applying so it goes on nice and smoothly.
If you do experience any skin irritations, stop using the product right away. If the problem persists, see your physician to make sure that there is no infection that needs to be treated. This is unlikely to happen, but some people may be sensitive to some of the ingredients, especially the essential oils.
One of the things we love the most about this deodorant is the smell. It is a wonderful combination of rose and vanilla, and it has an almost sweet scent. This is more of a scent for women, and most men don’t seem to care for the feminine scent and prefer a different product.
Benefits include -
There are just a few ingredients listed for this product. These ingredients are shea butter, baking soda, arrowroot powder, cocoa seed butter, natural fragrance from essential oils, and vitamin E. There is no artificial fragrance or any chemical ingredients.
A jar of this deodorant is going to easily last you for up to two months. You don’t need to use a whole lot at a time, so you can spread it out. It is not overly expensive to begin with, and this makes it an even better value.
Many deodorants only mask odors. This deodorant helps to fight odors, and it also helps to reduce perspiration. Even if you are going to be doing a heavy workout, you can count on this deodorant to be on the job.
- Long Lasting - A single application of this product is going to last all day long. You don’t even have to apply extra deodorant if you are going to the gym for a workout. It will also not leave any white stains on your clothing.
- Long Shelf Life - You can expect this deodorant to have a shelf life of up to 24 months if it is not opened. After it has been opened, it is good for about a year or so. If you keep it in the refrigerator, it is going to last even longer.
- Cruelty-free - This product is 100% cruelty free, and it is certified by the Consumer Coalition for Information on Cosmetics (Leaping Bunny) and PETA. This is a company that has also been honored by the Humane Society for its efforts to have animal testing in the US completely stopped.
- Light Burning - Some consumers have reported that they felt a light burning or stinging sensation after using this product. They said it feels a lot like a chemical burn, even though there are no chemicals used in the manufacturing of this deodorant.
As you can see, there are some pretty great organic, cruelty-free deodorants available. These products are comparably priced with the traditional products you may currently be using, and they work just as well. There really is no longer any reason to use products that are made with harsh chemicals or animal products and by-products, and you can get the protection you need from natural ingredients that you can pronounce.
Lastly, if you feel we should add any other products to our best vegan deodorant choices list above, please let us know in the comment box below.