The Best Vegan & Cruelty-Free Razors
Did you know that there is such a thing as a vegan razor? Anyone who is a vegan probably already knows this, but for many of us, this is new information, and something that we want to learn a lot more about.
The main thing to know about this type of razor is that it is not completely made with organic ingredients, but, it is cruelty free. You may wonder why this matters when it comes to a razor. After all, what could be cruel about a razor (except the fact that we all nick ourselves on occasion)?
What to Look for in a Cruelty-Free Razor
The main thing that makes a razor not vegan is the gel moisturizing strip. Most of these strips are made with animal ingredients, or ingredients that have been tested on animals. There are some companies that are particularly guilty of this, including Gillette.
If you don’t like to use products that contain animal products or that are tested on animals, it is time to start taking a better look at the shaving products you are using. If you are unsure about which are the best razors to use that are completely cruelty-free, you are in luck. In this post we are going to talk about a couple of our favorites.
Halo 5-Blade Razor (for Women)
Click the above image to purchase item from Amazon.com
The first razor we are going to look at is the Halo 5-Blade Razor. While advertised as being for women, this is actually a great razor for both women and men to use. This five-blade razor promises a smooth glide, and you will enjoy a close, smooth shave every time. If you are looking for a razor that works well and is not tested on animals or contain any animal ingredients, this is definitely one to check out.
There are several things that we like about this razor. To begin with, it has five blades for an extremely close shave on all of your body parts. You get a nice, smooth shave from a razor that is comparable with the more expensive Venus razor.
Other benefits include -
Some razors have a straight handle that is uncomfortable to hold onto and use. This razor has an ergonomic handle that has raised beads. This ensures a comfortable, no-slip grip.
Don’t you just hate it when your razor gets clogged with hairs, and rinsing it doesn’t clean them out? This razor is made with quick-rinse technology, so your blades stay clean and you always enjoy a close shave.
Designed for Women?
Women and men have different types of body hair, and one razor usually isn’t meant for use by both sexes. This razor has been designed for women, but it can handle tough beard hair as well, making it ideal for men too.
- Value - This razor is less expensive than the popular Venus and other razors, while it is just as good in quality.
- Cartridges - The cartridges are replaceable. You get two cartridges to start out with, giving you plenty of shaves before you need to buy new blades.
- Comfort-coated blades - The blades are coated so you have a comfortable, smooth shave. The blades easily go over every curve of your body.
- Rough - There is a small public sentiment that this razor does not glide nearly as well as advertised. A few vocal customers have said that it felt rough against their skin, and they ended up with several nicks and cuts.
Preserve Triple Razor System (for Men)
Click the above image to purchase item from Amazon.com
The Preserve Triple Razor System is not only vegan, the handle is completely recyclable. It is made with #5 plastics, and can easily be recycled at any recycling center that handles this type of plastic. Or, you can use the Recycline postage-paid mailer to send off your old razors to be recycled. Because it is a one-piece design, there is also less packaging used, making it even more environment friendly.
We can’t say enough about the one-piece handle design. Not only is it comfortable to hold and use, it also requires fewer resources to be used in the manufacturing process. The packaging is made from renewable wood sources, and you can even re-use it as a travel case.
Some of the benefits include -
This razor is made from recycled products, in particular, recycled yogurt cups. It has three stainless steel blades, and the plastics are #5, making them easy to recycle so your razors don’t end up sitting in landfills for years.
The blades are made from titanium-coated stainless steel. There are also clip wires on the ends of the cartridge which are made from rolled aluminum that is coated with plastic so it is gentle on the skin.
While the lubrication strips are made by a manufacturing partner that won’t reveal the exact formulation, we can guarantee that it is not made with any animal products, and the colorant is vegan and does not contain propylene glycol.
- Nickel Sensitivities - While there are traces of nickel in the blades (it is a primary ingredient in stainless steel), the titanium coating makes this razor safe for those who are allergic to nickel.
- BPA Free - In addition to being made from recycled materials, this razor is BPA free, making it safer to use.
- Appearance - This is a sleek looking razor that comes in variety of colors, including purple and grey.
- Construction - Some consumers have reported that this razor is flimsy, and is more in line with the quality of a cheap, disposable razor.
- No Hinge - The blades don’t rotate or move. To get a close and complete shave you may need to hold it at strange angles.
If you want a quality razor that will give you a close, smooth, even shave, and that is not made with any animal ingredients, both of the vegan razors we have looked at above are great choices. Not only are they better for the environment, they are better for your wallet than other, comparable razors that aren’t made with recyclable materials.
Don't forget to take a look at our top picks for vegan shaving cream too. And, if you think we missed anything, please comment below.