The Best Cruelty-Free & Vegan Shaving Cream
Most people think that the reason why their skin is irritated after shaving is because of the type of razor they are using, or because the blade is dull. Actually, it could have more to do with the type of shaving creams that they are using.
We see advertisements on television all the time for shaving creams that are supposed to moisturize, cool the skin, etc. But, how well do these products really work? After all, they are loaded with chemicals that we wouldn’t want to put into our bodies, so it makes us wonder why people would want to put them on their skin. Luckily, there is another option. Vegan shaving cream is just as good as any of the popular brands, and it is made with natural ingredients.
Why Regular Shaving Cream is Bad
With so many health issues that can be traced to the ingredients that are commonly found in most shaving creams, including cancer, it really is a wonder that these products have not been outlawed. These products are touted as being safe to use, but just because you are not ingesting them, it doesn’t mean that they can’t lead to health problems.
Let’s take a look at the most dangerous ingredients found in many shaving creams. These are the things you do not want to see on your shaving cream’s list of ingredients, and good reasons to make the switch to a vegan shaving cream.
- Parabens - These are preservatives that help to keep bacteria from growing, without changing anything about how the product works or feels. But, parabens are estrogen disrupters. They have been known to cause breast cancer, and they can also cause issues with the reproductive system.
- Petroleum - This is a by-product of crude oil. Do you really want to put it on your skin? This is a chemical that the human body cannot metabolize. That means that over time, it is going to build up in the tissues in the body. This is another estrogen disrupter, and it is possible that it is also carcinogenic.
- Sodium Laurel Sulfate - This is a detergent agent that is responsible for creating the foam. In addition to being used to make skin care products, it is also used in car soap, and as an engine de-greaser. This is an abrasive agent, and it can actually cause a lot of skin irritation. It can also react with other ingredients in products, and produce a nitrate-by product that could be carcinogenic.
- Fragrance - A lot of people have sensitivities to synthetic fragrances. And, most shaving creams don’t exactly smell good, which doesn’t say a whole lot for synthetic fragrances. Vegan shaving creams are naturally scented, and don’t tend to trigger nearly as many allergic reactions.
- BHA and BHT - This is a preservative that is commonly found in many beauty products. It can be very irritating to the skin, and it can lead to many health issues. This is an endocrine disruptor, and has been known to cause cancer.
- Formaldehyde - This preservative is used to embalm bodies. Why is it an ingredient in skin care products, and in some of the things we eat? This chemical can cause a lot of skin irritation, and has even been known to cause burning of the scalp and hair loss. Recent studies even link it to various types of cancer.
- DEA - This chemical is another one that helps to create lather in your shaving cream. By itself, it can’t do much harm. But, when it is in a formulation with other ingredients, it can create nitrates that are harmful to the body, and that can cause cancer.
- Siloxanes - These are silicone-based, and can be found in products that have moisturizers, as they help them to glide on more easily. Siloxanes have been proven to be endocrine disruptors, and they can be dangerous to aquatic life (they get rinsed down the drain, and right into our eco-system). This has been proven through studies by both the European Union and the Canadian government.
- PEG Compounds - These are polymers, and they are used in many products to make them spread on the skin more smoothly. They are potentially dangerous, and they make it even easier for your skin to absorb all of the other harmful chemicals in your skin care products, including shaving cream.
- Triclosan - This is hormone disruptor, and can be found in a number of skin care products. It is usually used as an anti-bacterial agent. Not only is it bad for us, it doesn’t break down well, so it stays in the water and can harm fish and other aquatic life.
You probably didn’t realize that all of these harmful things were in your shaving cream, did you? Most people don’t take the time to even read the ingredients list, let alone learn what the actual ingredients are. But, it is something that all of us should start doing more often. It is important to know what we are potentially putting into our bodies.
You may think that shaving cream is not ingested, so it can’t be dangerous. You may not be directly putting it into your body, but you are putting it on your body. It is absorbed by the skin, and then travels through the blood stream, where it can wreak havoc on your body.
In this post are going to take a look at some alternative products. Vegan shaving creams don’t contain these harmful chemicals. They are made with natural, plant-based ingredients, and do not have any animal ingredients. They are also not tested on animals, making them cruelty-free.
Here are some of our favorite choices for what we feel are the best vegan shaving creams.
Kiss my Face Moisture Shave
Click the above image to purchase item from Amazon.com
Just because you are on vacation, it doesn’t mean that your skin care should take a vacation as well. You can bring Kiss My Face Moisture Shave shaving cream with olive oil and aloe vera anywhere. This product is available in this 3.4-ounce travel size bottle that can fit into any overnight bag, shaving kit, makeup bag, etc., and can be used on the face, legs, and underarms. You get a clean shave, as well as soft, smooth skin with no irritation.
This product is made with natural ingredients that are known to have skin-softening properties, including coconut oil, golden seal, and lemongrass. This moisturizing cruelty-free shaving cream nourishes the skin. It also has styptic properties, and it is an astringent. You won’t find any of those harmful chemicals that can be found in regular shaving creams, but you are going to get great results from using it.
This is a shaving cream that is paraben and phthalate free. It is completely vegan, and is Leaping Bunny Certified to be cruelty free. Another benefit is that it has no scent, which is great for anyone who has sensitivities or scent allergies. Other benefits include -
This formula has been created to give you an amazingly close shave. But, it is not going to cause any irritation, because it isn’t loaded down with harmful chemicals like those other brands.
The ingredients in this vegan shaving cream, such as aloe vera, olive oil, and coconut oil, help to sooth the skin both while you are shaving and after. You won’t end up with those unsightly, annoying razor bumps on your skin, even if you are shaving in sensitive areas, such as the underarms or bikini area.
Easy to Use
This product lathers up nicely, and it is easy to use. There is no difference between this and other shaving creams in that manner. Simply wet your hands, lather the shaving cream, apply it to your skin, shave, and rinse with clear water.
Skin Softening Properties
This vegan shaving cream contains vitamin E. This is well-known to be a great skin softening agent. When combined with the other ingredients in this product, you get even more skin-softening power.
- No Chemicals - This shaving cream does not contain all of those harmful chemicals that we discussed earlier in this article. You will not find parabens, phthalates, or SLS in this product. All of the ingredients are vegan-friendly.
- Cruelty-Free - This product meets all of the criteria to be considered completely vegan. It has never been tested on animals, and it contains no animal ingredients. It also has no artificial fragrances or colors.
- Sensitive Skin - There is the occasional public review stating that consumers with extremely sensitive skin felt minor irritation after using this product, so if you have very sensitive skin, you should consider testing a little of the cream before doing a full shave.
Dusk by Herban Cowboy
Herban Cowboy Dusk Premium Shave Cream is both a skin conditioner and a soothing cream that lets you enjoy a close, comfortable shave every time. This is an ideal product for everyday use, because it is made with natural ingredients rather than harmful chemicals.
Some of the ingredients you will find in this vegan shaving cream include lavender, menthol, and aloe vera. What you won’t find are dyes, alcohol, synthetic ingredients, and drying soaps.
This is a non-lathering shaving cream that helps to condition and soothe the skin, and it is completely vegan. It is also made right in the United States. This is a company that wants to make sure that they create the best skin care products, with the best, all-natural ingredients. The packaging is also recyclable, which is another good reason to buy products from this company.
This is the ideal shave cream for men. While it does contain lavender, the scent is far from feminine. It also contains peppermint, which adds to the fresh, masculine scent, while also giving a cooling effect that soothes the skin. You can easily use this shave cream on a daily basis without worrying about skin sensitivity issues.
Benefits include -
No Harmful Chemicals
This product contains none of the harmful chemicals that you will find in shave creams from the popular brands. It contains no colorants, alcohol, or dried soaps, and the main ingredients are plant-based. This is great for anyone who has sensitivities to synthetic ingredients found in many of today’s skin care products.
This is a fairly produced product (not made in a sweatshop), and it is completely vegan and cruelty-free. It has never been tested on animals, and there are absolutely no animal ingredients, including animal by-products. You can use this product without feeling any guilt, and it is a lot better for the environment than chemical-based products.
When you look at the ingredients label, you will see no bad stuff, but plenty of good stuff. Some of the ingredients in this product include olive fruit oil, menthol crystals, yarrow root extract, sage leaf extract, rosemary fragrance proprietary essential oil blend, peppermint leaf extract, golden seal extract, and lavender extract.
This is not only an inexpensive product, you get even more value for your money because you don’t have to use much of it at a time. While it doesn’t lather up like the other shave creams, you get the slickness you need to ensure your razor glides smoothly over your skin. The more water you use, the slicker it gets.
- Eco-Friendly - Not all vegan products are completely eco-friendly, but this one is, right down to the biodegradable packaging.
- Protective Ingredients - The aloe vera, lavender, and olive oil are protective ingredients that are going to allow you to get a clean, close shave without irritating your skin.
- Lather - Some users have reported that this shaving cream doesn’t lather as nicely as shaving creams from other brands. But, it is advertised as a non-lathering shave cream, so they were forewarned.
Avalon Organics Moisturizing Cream Shave
Click the image above to purchase item from Amazon.com
Avalon Organics Cream Shave is made with aloe vera, and doesn’t have any scents that bother those who are sensitive to scented products, even naturally-scented ones. This is a moisturizing shave cream that is going to give you soft, smooth skin after every shave, and it will provide nourishment to your skin to keep it nice and hydrated. You can even shave daily without worrying about this product bothering your skin.
Not only is this product free of harmful chemicals, it also is free of GMO’s, which is important to a lot of people these days. It also contains no parabens, preservatives, harsh sulfates, or phthalates. This organic shaving cream is loaded with healthy, organic ingredients, is completely vegan, and it is biodegradable, so it isn’t going to harm the environment when rinsed down the drain.
Because this product is vegan, you can use it without ever wondering or worrying that it is has been tested on animals. It also contains no animal ingredients, which makes it ideal for anyone who has adopted a vegan lifestyle. Remember, it is not just your diet that should be vegan. In addition to being vegan, here are some more benefits this product has to offer -
The natural plant oils, along with the aloe vera, provide nourishment to your skin. This shave cream moisturizes, and you get a clean, close shave with no skin irritation afterwards, and your skin will be nice and smooth. Sure, you can get the same thing from your regular shave cream, but why would you want to use a product that is loaded with chemicals when this natural shaving cream?
It is inevitable that you are going to cut yourself while shaving. No matter how much we try to avoid it, it seems that it happens every time. This shave cream won’t stop you from cutting yourself, but its ingredients will help to speed up the time it takes to heal those cuts, as well as skin irritation.
Thick & Creamy
Many people enjoy using this product because it is thick and creamy foam that feels silky-smooth. It allows the razor to glide smoothly across your skin, for one of the closest shaves you will ever have. A little goes a long way, and it is best to apply this shave cream thinly for the best results.
Great for Dry Skin
If you have dry skin, this shave cream can give you some relief. It is loaded with skin-softening ingredients like vitamin E, aloe vera, emollients, lubricants, and a variety of conditioners. These are all natural ingredients that can be found in nature, and they are all recommended for use by those who have dry skin.
- Rinses Easily - Some shave creams seem to take forever to rinse off. This one rinses away easily, and it won’t hurt the environment.
- Scent - This shave cream doesn’t have a strong scent. You will notice a bit of an aloe vera scent, which seems to dissipate quickly after you get out of the shower.
- Lather - Some customers have stated in public that this product doesn’t have as much lather as they would like. Some say that the formulation has changed from the original version, and it doesn’t lather as well as it used to.
If you are tired of using shaving cream that is loaded with harmful chemicals, gluten, alcohol, etc., it is time to start looking into the many benefits of vegan shaving cream. Any of the above shave creams are going to fit that bill, and then some. They are all reasonably priced, and paired with a vegan razor, they will give you the clean, close shave you love, without irritating your skin.
Last Updated on