The Best Cruelty-Free & Vegan Toothpaste Brands
Did you know that not all toothpastes are certified to be vegan? If you are considering going vegan, there are a lot of things to learn about the products that you use every day, including your toothpaste. After all, this is going into your mouth, and into your body, so you don’t want anything that is not vegan.
Even if you are not a vegan, you can still enjoy all of the benefits that a vegan toothpaste has to offer. You don’t have to be a vegan to use vegan products, and the more you use, the more likely you may be to actually decide to become a full-fledged vegan after all.
Quick Review Chart
Hello Fluoride Toothpaste
Crème de Peppermint
*Clicking on parts of the chart above takes you to product pages on Amazon.com
What’s Wrong with Regular Toothpaste?
You might be wondering what the difference is between your regular toothpaste and vegan toothpaste. For starters, many commercial toothpastes are tested on animals, and the process for any animal testing is cruel. Vegan products are cruelty-free, meaning that they have not been tested on animals, and that they contain no animal ingredients. One of the main ingredients in regular toothpastes is glycerin, which is an animal ingredient.
Vegan toothpaste is a better option is that it is made with natural ingredients. A lot of the toothpastes many of us use contain a number of chemicals, and these chemicals are going into our bodies, which can’t be healthy. Most of the ingredients in vegan toothpastes are derived from plants. Be careful when buying toothpaste. Some brands claim to be vegan-friendly, when in fact they do contain some chemicals, and glycerin.
Another thing that many people don’t like about regular toothpaste is the fact that it contains the foaming agent SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate). This is something that is also used in engine degreasers, and in concrete cleaners! Do you really want to put that in your mouth? This foaming agent has been linked to mouth ulcers, and can potentially cause cancer. Even toothpastes that are labeled as being natural can often contain SLS and other harsh ingredients.
The problem is, some toothpastes list glycerin as an ingredient, but there are actually two types of glycerin, animal and vegetable. The ingredients lists usually do not specify which type of glycerin is in the toothpaste. To find out for sure, you would need to contact the manufacturer. You don’t have to worry about this when you are using vegan toothpaste.
Other ingredients that you want to watch out for in toothpaste include bone ash and sugar. Doesn’t that sound strange, to have sugar in a product that is supposed to prevent tooth decay? Bone ash, also referred to as char, is used to process sugar, so even the sugar isn’t vegan as it has animal derivatives. Make sure that your toothpaste is certified cruelty-free, so you know that there are no animal ingredients, and that there is no animal testing done on the product.
Making the Switch
If you have been considering switching to vegan products, including toothpaste, you are making a healthy choice, not only for yourself and your family, but also for the planet. This is a socially and ecologically responsible thing to do, for several reasons. And, you are safer with fewer health risks associated with the chemicals that are in regular toothpastes.
Changing your lifestyle to a vegan one isn’t easy, but it is worthwhile. You may have to do it in baby steps, starting with certain products, such as toothpaste. The best time to make the switch is when you run out of a product. Instead of buying what you would normally use, buy a vegan alternative. This is also going to seem a lot less expensive than going out and buying a lot of new products all at once. There are plenty of vegan and all natural toothpastes available on the market today, three of which we will be discussing later on in this article.
How do You Know a Toothpaste is Truly Vegan?
In order for a product to be truly considered vegan, it needs to be certified by one of three companies -
- Vegan Action - Look for a heart logo that has a “V” inside the heart. In order for a company to license this logo, they must complete a form that proves their facility is cruelty-free, and that their products are animal-free.
- Beauty without Bunnies - This company is sponsored by PETA, and vegan companies can license the logo. You will recognize it by the bunny face with cute little heart-shaped ears, and it says, “cruelty-free and vegan” beneath the logo.
- Vegan Society - When you see this logo, you can be sure that the product does not contain any animal products or by-products, and that no animal testing is done in the creating and manufacturing of the product.
Avoiding the Harsh Chemicals
There are some chemicals that you are going to find in most regular toothpastes, and also in some vegan toothpastes. These are sodium lauryl sulfate, fluoride, and carrageenan. Even those who are not vegan are starting to steer away from products that contain SLS, because it can cause mouth sores in people who have chemical sensitivities.
Look for products that contain sodium coco sulfate instead, which comes from coconuts. It does foam up a bit, but it doesn’t lead to painful mouth sores. Another alternative to SLS is sodium lauroyl sarcosinate. This is an amino acid that can be found in the human body, and it is commonly found in nature. This ingredient is often sourced from coconut oil.
Some vegan toothpastes do contain fluoride. If this is something you wish to avoid, you need to be diligent about reading the ingredients before choosing the best vegan toothpaste for you. You get enough fluoride in your water at home, and you don’t really need to be getting any more of it in your system.
Another chemical to watch out for is carrageenan. This chemical is known to cause stomach issues, and it has even been banned in other parts of the world. It is something that vegans don’t want in the products that they use.
Ingredients to Look For
There are two important ingredients to look for when choosing a vegan toothpaste. These ingredients are xylitol and plant-based glycerin.
- Xylitol - If you have problems with tooth decay, or just want to prevent it from happening, this is an ingredient that should be in your toothpaste. It is a natural sweetener that is made from the extracts of woody, fibrous plants. It can help to treat cavities that you already have, and prevent bacteria from building up on your teeth. It also helps to whiten your teeth.
- Plant-Based Glycerin - This is an ingredient that is found in vegetable oils, and it helps to keep many products moist. In order to be truly vegan, a toothpaste must contain this rather than animal glycerin.
Now, let’s take a look at three of our favorite vegan toothpastes.
Himalaya Boutique Whitening Toothpaste
Click the above image to purchase item from Amazon.com
Himalaya Whitening Toothpaste, Simply Mint, is free of fluoride, and has no SLS or carrageenan. It is also gluten-free, and completely vegan. This is a different type of toothpaste, using ingredients that aren’t commonly found in other vegan toothpastes. It contains Neem leaf, which is hand-harvested, as well as three renewing fruits in the Triphala detox formula, pomegranate, and papaya and pineapple enzymes. This is definitely not your regular toothpaste, and we like it.
If you want clean, white teeth, and you want a product that is truly vegan, this is an option you need to consider. The Neem cleans your teeth, and helps to make them white and sparkling. In fact, Neem is one of the first mouth cleansers in history. This toothpaste also fights plaque naturally, thanks to the Neem and pomegranate. It also keeps your breath nice and fresh.
This is one of our favorite vegan toothpastes for whitening teeth. The papaya and pineapple enzymes help to whiten your teeth, and the mint extracts leave your mouth feeling minty-fresh. You will enjoy healthier gums, and you don’t have to worry about any fluoride, SLS, carrageenan, and gluten. The flavor is long-lasting, so your breath is going to stay fresh longer.
Benefits include -
Triphala is a detox formula from ancient Ayurveda, and it is the most popular formula in the area. The Neem leaf is harvested from the “world’s most researched tree”. This formula has been used for hundreds of years, and is available to you to help keep your teeth healthy, clean, and bright white.
The pomegranate is an astringent fruit, and it can help to keep your gums healthy. This fruit extract helps to tighten the gum tissue, which in turn is going to promote better gum health and help to ward off gum disease, which can lead to tooth decay and tooth loss. This is a healthy alternative to traditional toothpastes.
Plaque is the main cause of tooth decay, and it doesn’t take much for it to build up on your teeth. Not all toothpastes are good at removing plaque. This toothpaste can remove it, and help to keep it from building up again, which in turn is going to help you to avoid some serious tooth decay.
No Synthetic Ingredients
Some vegan toothpastes do contain synthetic ingredients. This is not something that you will have to worry about with this vegan toothpaste. There are no parabens, SLS, phthalates, petroleum silicones, and other harmful ingredients in this formulation. There are also no artificial fragrances or colors.
- Flavor - Even though there are no artificial flavors in this product, it still has a pleasant and enjoyable flavor that isn’t too strong. There is little to no odor, and no colorants except those from the natural plant-based ingredients.
- Organic - The ingredients used in this product are totally organic, and grown using methods that go along with the laws of nature. There are no toxic chemical pesticides and herbicides used in the farming of these plants. Neem oil, a natural insect repellant, is used to protect the herbs and other plants from insect attacks.
- Cruelty-Free - Unlike other regular toothpastes, vegan toothpastes, including this product, are not tested on animals. You can use this product guilt-free, knowing that no animals have been harmed to create this product for your dental health.
- Flavor - Though many users feel the flavor of this toothpaste is pleasant, others have reported that this toothpaste has a bad flavor, as well as a bad aftertaste, and it does not freshen their breath.
Nature's Gate Natural Toothpaste
Click the above image to purchase item from Amazon.com
Nature’s Gate Natural Toothpaste, Crème de Peppermint, comes in a pack of six, six-ounce containers, for a total of 36 ounces of some of the best natural toothpaste money can buy. This means that you won’t have to buy a new tube in just a few weeks, and you get more value for your money. This is a toothpaste that is touted to promote great oral health, and it can help to strengthen your teeth and remove plaque. An added bonus is that this product is made right in the United States.
This is a vegan, non-GMO toothpaste that is gluten-free, and also free of carrageenan, soy, parabens, sulfate, and fluoride. It's a cruelty-free toothpaste, so you know that it has never been tested on animals, and that it contains no animal ingredients. It also contains no artificial flavors and sweeteners. This is purely organic, and that's what makes it one of the best natural toothpaste options on the market.
We love the ingredients that are listed for this product. It contains vegetable glycerin instead of animal glycerin, along with natural chalk, sodium lauroyl sarcosinate from coconut oil, seaweed extract, sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), sea salt, natural peppermint oils for flavor, vitamin C, and calcium carrot powder.
Some of the many benefits include -
Easy to Use
There is no difference between using this toothpaste and any other toothpaste. It comes in a squeeze tube, and you simply squeeze out the same amount that you would normally use to brush your teeth. Having six tubes in a package comes in pretty handy too, and it will save you money in the long run.
Like Regular Toothpaste
If you have been worried about making the switch to vegan toothpaste because of the flavor and texture, this is a good one to switch to. It is similar to regular toothpaste in appearance, scent, and flavor. It foams up just like your old toothpaste, without the SLS which is not healthy.
Great for Kids
This toothpaste doesn’t have a strong flavor, making it a good choice for kids who don’t tend to like the burning sensation that comes from other toothpastes meant for adult use. Before switching the toothpaste your kids use, check with their dentist to make sure that you are picking the best option for their overall dental health.
Good for Sensitive Teeth
Do you have sensitive teeth issues? If so, this may be a good product for you to use. Many users have reported that it has helped their sensitive teeth, and they are now able to enjoy hot and cold foods, sweets, etc. This has not been studied much, but consumers have reported that it does work.
- Mostly Natural - While this product is not 100 percent natural, the label does say that it is 97 percent natural, and that is close enough for us. Some companies claim to sell all-natural products, and then in the fine print, you see that there are some synthetic ingredients. This label tells the whole truth.
- A Little Goes a Long Way - You don’t need to use a lot of toothpaste to get a fresh, clean mouth and teeth. You might even be able to get away with using a bit less than you would if you were using regular toothpaste.
- Flavor - The minty flavor is not overpowering. It is a mild flavor that tastes nice, and leaves your mouth feeling clean and your breath smelling nice and fresh. The only downside is the flavor doesn’t last very long.
- Consistency - Some users have complained that the formulation is too thin and watery, and that it doesn’t stay on their toothbrushes long enough to brush their teeth. That being said, it's pretty potent as was mentioned in the "pros", so you don't need as much as you normally would.
Hello Oral Care Fluoride Toothpaste
Click the above image to purchase item from Amazon.com
Hello Oral Care Fluoride Toothpaste - Mojito Mint, comes in a five-ounce tube, and is made with natural ingredients. It is as delicious as it is effective, and it contains no artificial sweeteners, preservatives, or dyes. This vegan toothpaste is a healthier alternative to the regular toothpaste you have been using for most of your life, and it isn’t going to break your wallet. This product is Leaping Bunny Certified, so you know it is truly a vegan product.
Some of the healthy ingredients you will find listed for this toothpaste include xylitol, stevia (a natural sweetener), and a silica blend that whitens your teeth gently. It helps to prevent cavities, and can strengthen the enamel on your teeth to help keep them strong and healthy. It also has a great flavor, and will give you nice, fresh breath.
This vegan toothpaste is ADA approved. It doesn’t contain any of the harmful ingredients that are often found in regular toothpaste. You get the same, healthy effects, without having to worry about putting chemicals into your body. You also know that you are not using a product that has been tested on animals.
Some of the benefits of using this toothpaste include -
Plaque buildup leads to cavities and gum disease, the latter of which can quickly end up being untreatable. This toothpaste is excellent at plaque removal. The unique combination of ingredients will whiten your teeth gently, remove plaque buildup, and prevent plaque from building on your teeth.
When you read the list of ingredients, you will find such natural ingredients as aloe vera, coconut oil, and sustainably farmed stevia. This is a company that cares about the products that it makes, because they are going into your body.
No Chemical Additives
This toothpaste is made using healthy, plant-based ingredients. It contains no peroxide, triclosan, gluten, or microbeads, and it also has no artificial sweeteners or colors. It is vegan and made in the United States using globally sourced ingredients. It is also Leaping Bunny and PETA certified, making it one of the best organic toothpaste choices you can make.
Even the packaging for this product is vegan-friendly. The cartons are made from FSC certified paper, and they are printed with soy ink, making everything about this product friendly to the environment.
- Flavor - The Mojito Mint is a cool and refreshing flavor, but it is not the only flavor this toothpaste is available in. You can also enjoy Extra Whitening Toothpaste in Pure Mint, Sensitivity Relief Toothpaste in Soothing Mint, and Fluoride-Free Whitening Toothpaste in Natural Sweet Mint.
- No Reactions - If you have sensitivities to many products, this is one you should try. Many users report that they normally have sensitivity issues with other toothpastes, but not with this one. It is ideal for those who have a lot of allergies.
- Good for Kids - Many toothpastes have a strong flavor, which is a real turn-off to kids. This toothpaste has a mild flavor that most people, including kids, seem to love. It is not too strong, and it will help to keep your breath nice and minty-fresh.
- Value - Some people have complained that this isn’t a lot of toothpaste for the price. Luckily, you only need to use a little bit at a time, so it should last as long as a regular tube of toothpaste would.
It is hard to understand why companies that offer products that are supposed to be healthy use so many unhealthy chemicals, and are so environmentally unfriendly. Making the switch to vegan toothpaste is just the start, and it is a darned good place to start. You don’t need to put unhealthy chemicals into your mouth, and if you are an animal lover, you probably don’t want to have anything that has been tested on animals or contains animal ingredients.
The three options we have discussed in this post are what we feel are some of the best vegan toothpaste choices available, are they are all great alternatives to your regular toothpaste. Best of all, they won’t put too much of a strain on your wallet.
Last Updated on